Old July 15th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
A Brown[_2_] A Brown[_2_] is offline

Default IBiquity - Where's the "HD" in "HD" radio?

They don't care about the technology that brings them the content they
want.

Only radio geeks care about the technology.

Which is precisely the point. So far, only the technology has been
promoted. And the diverse 'out of the box' programming offerings have not
materialized as promised.

Sure they have, there's Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There are
lots of formats available that are not available on the regular broadcast
band.

There's no interest in the product.

Just like the public wasn't interested in 'stereo' for a long time.

"What good was stereo when I have a mono radio..."?

Now, you wouldn't build an FM receiver without it!

it's not like HD will simply go away.

You're right...it's not going away....even if it's a slow growth technology.

After all, AM stereo had a more publicly interested pre launch. But, as
discussed here, delays due to legal wrangling and FCC's mishandling of the
technology and implementation allowed public interest to wane before a
practical launch.

Not just that, the public had no interest in AM stereo...period. There was
very little on AM that could benefit from stereo. Slong with the
"marketplace approach" of allowing competing standards on the air. The HD
experience is much better in that the sstandard is established.

Even so, it took more than 20 years for AM Stereo to die.

It didn't die....newer technology replaced it.

But, right now, as it stands, HD is a solution in search of a problem.

No, it's not....

The "question" is...."Are there alternatives to traditional radio....cuz I
don't like the commercials or the format offerrings? Is the only
alternative that I pay satelite fees for the rest of my life..."

Answer: yes are alternatives and HD is one of them.

It gives more functionality to radio...so it's not going away.