Old July 15th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default (OT) California wildfires.

On Jul 15, 5:50*am, Dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Jun 25, 8:59 am, RHF wrote:

Today I heard many Lightning Strikes on the Radio
that were happening along the Sierra Nevadas from
up at the Lake Tahoe; down to Mount Whitney; and
across to Mount Diablo.
http://www.sierranevadaphotos.com/ge...getation_l.jpg

I've been living in the Sierra Pelonas foothills for 10 years. *The
thunderstorms have to dissipate all their energy to get over the
mountains. *If they make it at all, there is no "storminess" left in
them. *The storms generally stop at the San Andreas fault, as delineated
around here by Elizabeth Lake Rd. *I get maybe 4-6" of rain a year,
except during El Nino.

Dave - California is a big place, and it is impossible to gauge the
amount of lightning statewide by your local experience. Even here in
the SF Bay Area, we get a little bit of thunder almost every year, and
occasionally we get a decent storm. I have rarely taken a summer
camping trip in the Sierra without seeing some lightning - in July and
August, it is fairly common.

Bruce Jensen