Old July 16th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
A Brown[_2_] A Brown[_2_] is offline

Default IBiquity - Where's the "HD" in "HD" radio?

Which is precisely the point. So far, only the technology has been
promoted. And the diverse 'out of the box' programming offerings have
not materialized as promised.

Sure they have, there's Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There
are lots of formats available that are not available on the regular
broadcast band.

And not widely available on HD.

There are ALL available where I am.

Most HD channels I've heard, are dupes of the baseband audio,

That's the HD-1 channel. The HD-2 and HD-3, etc...channels can be anything
they want.

....with HD2 being a simulcast of an AM sister. The off beat programming
options simply haven't materialized as promised.

Sure they have. Wouldn't it be nice to be informed before making incorrect
statements?

If you live near a major city (and 85% of America lives within the top 15
markets) you have plenty of HD choices.

Jazz, 70's Folk, Chorale, Ethnic, Dance...There are lots of formats
available

At the time AM stereo was proposed, that's not true. Most listening was
still AM, at that time. Most music listening.

But the FCC decided to let the marketplace choose the standard.
Disasterous!

Radio stations, radio manufacturers and Carmakers would not move on it until
a market standard evolved. By the time that started happenning (mid 80's?)
most AM music stations were a thing of the past.

At least that's ONE thing that's different with HD.

It didn't die....newer technology replaced it.

No, actually it died.

No, AM stereo is now available with newer technology...IBOC.

But, right now, as it stands, HD is a solution in search of a problem.

No, it's not....

The "question" is...."Are there alternatives to traditional radio....cuz
I don't like the commercials or the format offerrings? Is the only
alternative that I pay satelite fees for the rest of my life..."

Answer: yes are alternatives and HD is one of them.

A minor one. The real alternatives, today are on cell phones, podcasts
and live streaming.

They are ALL alternatives...hence the word....alternatives.

All of the alternatives you mentioned are way below 1% listening.

Would you prefer radio sit it out and let phones, podcasts and internet
streaming emerge without radio at least attempting to play a role?

And, if you think HD channels will remain commercial free, you need to
rethink that. Cable was commercial free. Look at it now. Satellite TV was
commercial free.

FM radio was commercial free....look at it now!

No, I am under no illusions that commercial free will last forever, it will
last as long as it takes, though.

And right now one of the hottest ad buys is a podcast.

Podcasts are still less than .01% of listening. (I can't imagine there is
much money for ad rates.) Sattelite radio is less than 1% penetration. More
and more money IS going to web pages though....even on the local level.

HD will be commercial free as long as there is no interest in it.

Just like FM. Radio used a negative (lack of listeners/advertisers for FM)
as a PLUS!

It gives more functionality to radio...so it's not going away.

Not anytime soon. But its future is far from assured.

Nothing is assured....not even tomorrow.