Old July 18th 08, 09:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default 11 meter beam

David G. Nagel wrote:

I don't know if you have considered it but I would like to suggest that
you look into ham radio. It is a more adventurous hobby,one that offers
greater opportunity to exercise your operating skills. By and large the
licensed ham radio operators offer a courteous, friendly and extremely
helpful environment. I have to assume that since you are here looking
for assistance you already have a feeling for all this.
Getting a ham license has never been easier. There are only three
classes of license now, Technician, General and Extra. The code test has
been eliminated so that shouldn't be a problem.

Since he did not say where he is, your answer may be wrong. While I
agree with it in principal, not everyone has it so easy. Here in Israel
there still is a code requirement, testing is twice a year, and ANY
permanent antenna requires a permit which no one seems to know how to
get. Technicaly any operation over 20 watts EIRP requires radiation
level certification.

But then CB is just as bad. Except for a few off-roaders who have not gone
to 446 mHz it's even deader than ham radio.

Geoff.