Old July 18th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default Measure Signal Generator with Oscilloscope?

On Jul 17, 11:50�am, wrote:
I bought an old Heathkit IG-42 "Laboratory Generator" at a flea
market
the other day. �It powers up OK but I don't have anything to test it
with except a TEK 465 O-scope. �I looked for an output with the scope
but couldn't find anything. �I know the scope is working because its
1K hz calibration signal looks fine.

The generator dial goes from 100 KC to 30 MC. � Is this too high a
frequency to be monitored with a 465?

Any Tektronix scope from 541 on up to 465 or 475 is good enough.

I have a dusty IG-42 in the workshop (replaced by an HP606). It still
works fine and remains in power output calibration although the
frequency markings were never that good.

I almost hate to ask, but did you check the tubes inside your IG-42?
At least to see if the filaments are glowing? A couple of sheet metal
screws in the back hold the main case shell to the main assembly.

BAMA doesn't have a manual on the IG-42, just the SG-8 (the model
without the output meter or better attenuator). I have
one...somewhere
in the old stuff in the workshop. I could scan it if I can find
it...and the
nice Kodak all-in-one is working (which it isn't as of a few days
ago).

Len AF6AY