Old November 12th 03, 01:24 PM

a!

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:36:17 -0500, Robert Lyons
wrote:

W1RFI wrote:

I have not looked at a plasma TV, Chip, but I would make that diagnosis
primarily on on the basis of the sphere of influence. In the BPL test

areas,
the interference was heard over the entire area that had the BPL

couplers in
place.

Hmmm - I wonder ... presumably the BPL couplers are capacitors coupling
appropriate RF from one leg of the power system to the next. Would they
also couple spuriously-generated RF at similar frequencies? (yeah, I'm
sure the couplers are more involved than simple RF bypass caps - that's
not the question here.)

The PPL rep accused you of mis-interpreting the RF from a neon sign as a
BPL signal. What DOES happen to the hash generated by a neon sign, then?
is it propagated through the power grid much further when BPL couplers
are present? How about other sources of broadband noise, like loose

wires,
arcing insulators, etc? Will the entire BPL scheme spread all these other
spurious emissions far and wide?

And, by the way, since aircraft use AM, do they receive hash when they
fly over BPL lines? Are our brethren in aviation potentially useful
allies in this war?

We'd basically have to identify an area close to an airport.
IF it were to interfere it would be more likely to interfere with nav
radios such as the ILS and VORs.

Even small planes are likely to be several thousand feet above any
current test area and as the areas are small any interference would be
brief and quite likely unnoticed.

Now, if they'd put one off the approach end of a runway using an ILS
and screw up the glide slope indication for an airliner, I think the
PBL experiment would be over in a hurry.

I don't think that is going to happen.
Even if those frequencies are "notched out" I think it would affect an
ILS indicator and I emphasize the "I think" part. I also think they
will avoid putting anything near an airport until the system is in
widespread use with the hopes that sheer pressure would force the
continuance of the service. These people "ain't dumb". They are going
to play everything to their advantage including attempts to discredit
any testing that shows them in a bad light, as we've already seen. I
wouldn't call them dishonest, or that they would resort to
"prefabrication, or prevarication". I think everyone can draw their
own conclusions.

I would hope the FAA and FCC would require specific testing be done
both in the laboratory and in the field due to the quite possible
severe consequences were interference to aviation to occur.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Bob, KI8AB