Old July 9th 03, 07:35 PM
Roy Lewallen

You're right. The author is wrong.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Clifton T. Sharp Jr. wrote:

I'm not sure I was clear on my question. The only nonlinearity I want in
my detector diode is the noncontinuous function

| Vin when Vin = 0.000000 micronanofemtoattovolts
Vout = |
| 0 when Vin 0.000000 micronanofemtoattovolts

...while the author seems to be saying that the nonlinearity which exists
just above the barrier voltage is essential to detection. He does say,

"The slope must be steeper (or shallower) at higher voltages and
shallower (or steeper) at lower voltages than at the quiescent
operating point."

Given my perfect diode and (let's say) a 0.25V peak signal, I contend
that my output envelope will be an exact reproduction of the input
envelope; but (see his graph #2) his required nonlinearity will seriously
distort the output envelope.

He seems to be saying that without that, you can't demodulate the signal.
I assert that without that, I demodulated it better than he did.