Old July 22nd 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
DaveM DaveM is offline

Default the great heatsink search

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
Pete KE9OA wrote:
start he

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....N=1323038&No=0

if you know the parameters of the heat sink in question, a search through
these pages on the Mouser website should give you what you need. there are
several pages to go through, so you do have your work cut out for you!

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message

I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are zillions
of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006 handbook
and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save the heatsink.
It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA amp as well. Anyone
have this beast in the junk bin or know of a purveyor who might?? I've
scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink is an AAVID part (#244609B02).
Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao

Thanks for the advice. Mouser very nearly had a replacement. The unit has
horizontal fins instead of vertical and as my application is convection-only,
this likely tips the balance on effectiveness (safety).
Did find another site and it looks like a good one. It's Nebraska Sales and
Surplus. I've purchased from them before and have no complaints. Thanks again
for the quick replies.

Gary

I don't have a copy or the 2006 handbook, so I can't visualize the heatsink that
you're looking for. Low resistance heatsinks are usually made from extrusions
and can be any of a number of designs.
Is there a photo in the article that shows the heatsink? Possible for you to
post a scan of it on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic? Also, the dimensions
of the heatsink would help to find a substitute and source.
If you're in or near the central Florida area, Skycraft usually has a couple
bins of heavy heatsinks that might suit the job. I bought a couple that
calculates to about 0.5 degC/watt each about a year ago. Last time I was in the
store (in February this year), they still had about 10 of them on the shelf.

You mentioned that it was also used on the FARA amp. Is there a link to a web
page that describes (hopefully with a photo) the amp?

Cheers!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want