Old July 23rd 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Frank[_5_] Frank[_5_] is offline

Default coax filter dilemma

well, yes, but actually the design started with the shorts at 98 MHz
which are easy, then the only unknown variable becomes the series stub
that gives a 50 ohm match at 70 MHz, I still don't get why the
matching section appear to be 3/8 wl on a smith chart and actually is
1/8 like if I inverted the sense of load/generator (yes, I worked with
admittances for shunt stubs).

Let me know if you would like to see my results, will be glad to e-mail
them
as JPEGs.

sure, my email address is valid, thank you very much.

73
Francesco IZ8DWF

Francesco, I will be e-mailing my results for your interest. We seem to
have arrived at the same conclusions.

I think I understand where you are confused. Initially, starting at the
center of the Smith Chart, the shunt open stub moves down, along the
constant conductance circle (0.2S). At 0.175 WL at 70 MHz (0.25
WL at 98 MHz) - 62 cm, the input impedance is 10 - j 20 ohms.
Next; the series section of transmission line moves clockwise along
the 10 ohm resistance circle. At 0.125 WL (70 MHz) - 44 cm, the impedance
reaches 10 + j 20. The final shunt section then moves the impedance
to the center of the Smith Chart along the 0.2 S circle.

73,

Frank (VE6CB)