Old July 24th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins Guy Atkins is offline

Default Long distance MW reception

John's fantastic catches on his Eton E1 were of course from Easter Island, a
place with a rather unoccupied MW radio dial! Not too much QRM or adjacent
channel splatter there, and the E1 was more than enough receiver for the
task.

BTW, John's co-author in his Proceedings articles about propagation was
David Clark of Ontario, Canada. Now *that's* someone I wish would get back
into the DXing hobby. I enjoyed his occasional visits and attendance at the
Grayland DXpeditions.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com

wrote in message
On Jul 23, 10:46 pm, bm wrote:
"don't worry about the radio though"... I beg to disagree. Yes, the
FRG-7 would work well in an RF-free environment like that of SA, but
not in Europe or USA. I've had one. I do agree though, that there are
signals that will only be audible seconds or minutes and one will have
to wait years, or forever, to hear them again.
The interesting thing is that with the advent of SDR, many more
"impossible" stations have been heard. At least that is the experience
from the Nordic countries the past winter. There are many stations
visiting our antennas we never hear.
BM-

Well said Bjarne - you are right of course - the SDR radio's have
indeed lifted the hobby to another higher level. The statement I made
was rather not to discourage budding MW DXer's to give it a go, even
if they don't have the best equipment available.

However John Bryant did get his amazing catches on an E1 portable and
to see my pal Gary Deacon operate his FRG-7 is an eye opener,
although, admittedly, conditions in S.A. are more favourable as you
say.

I myself am a firm believer if DXing is your lifelong hobby and gives
you lots of enjoyment and satisfaction, then you should spend as much
on the best equipment that you can afford. I have not stinted on
getting the best radio's available for my enjoyment and fun.

Undoubtedly though, using an SDR that is recording a whopping 800 kHz
of bandwidth at the TOH must always achieve much better results than a
conventional radio that can only listen on one frequency at a time.

JP