Old July 24th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
RFI-EMI-GUY RFI-EMI-GUY is offline

Default the great heatsink search

wrote:

Gary wrote:
Pete KE9OA wrote:
Oh, that's ok Gary. I hope you find the one you are looking for. Most of
that stuff from Surplus Sales of Nebraska came from the Inventory Disposal
sale from Rockwell-Collins, which means that it is of good quality.

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
. ..
Pete KE9OA wrote:
start he

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....N=1323038&No=0

if you know the parameters of the heat sink in question, a search
through these pages on the Mouser website should give you what you need.
there are several pages to go through, so you do have your work cut out
for you!

Pete

"Gary" wrote in message
I'm finding that if you're looking for any heatsink that there are
zillions of places to pick one up and that if you are looking for
a particular sink that it is a futile task. With a little help
from my friends, I'm putting together the mosfet amp in the 2006
handbook and I've pretty much secured everything on the parts list save
the heatsink. It is the same unit that was used on the original FARA
amp as well. Anyone have this beast in the junk bin or know of a
purveyor who might?? I've scoured the web and no joy so far. The sink
is an AAVID part (#244609B02). Thanks in advance all.

Gary
ka9rao
Thanks for the advice. Mouser very nearly had a replacement. The unit
has horizontal fins instead of vertical and as my application is
convection-only, this likely tips the balance on effectiveness (safety).
Did find another site and it looks like a good one. It's Nebraska Sales
and Surplus. I've purchased from them before and have no complaints.
Thanks again for the quick replies.

Gary

Thanks one and all for the suggestions. Started soldering this evening
so there's no turning back...

Gary

I've found several good heatsinks and power supplies at Goodwill. I
purchased an old stereo amp that had 6 100 watt channels. The last one
I bought cost less than $20. I am really surprised at the way people
cast things like this off. It is now the heart of my home
entertainment system.

Jimmie

\

Don't forget old land mobile radios like MASTR II, Mitrek or SyntorX for
some heat sinks with great thermal mass. You may need some metalworking
tools to cut off and smooth down the mating area neded for your device
layout.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©