Old July 28th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Kelley Jim Kelley is offline

Default MA5B background noise

Andy wrote:
I have managed to make an mp3 up. The first 10 seconds is on the Cobwebb
followed by another 10 seconds on the MA5B beam pointed in there direction
and then back and forth every 10 seconds. The click is the antenna switch
clicking over.

It can be found here. http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ma5b/ma5b4.mp3

If anyone needs to here a clearer one let me know, but it will be best after
the contest has finished.

Andy

Judging by the signal to noise ratio, it sounds like the beam is a
better antenna than the cobweb when it's pointed at the transmitting
station. You might be able to tell that more readily if you turned off
the AGC. You can even watch the AGC changing on the Windows Media
Player spectrum scope when you switch antennas.

Quieter antennas are usually quieter both ways.

ac6xg