Old July 30th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default You Know Radio Is In Big Trouble When...

wrote:
David, HD receivers are not selling because the public has no interest. Most
people already own 5 radios that work just fine. And judging by the lack of
sales they see no reason to upgrade. It's not like all analog radio
transmissions are going dark in 2009. And it's not like HD stations provide
content that's so compelling listeners can't live without their HD radio
fix. And it doesn't really sound that much better anyway. So far a few radio
hobbyist have invested in HD radio. Why does this feel like Am stereo all
over again. Another technology that listeners never asked for but could have
been great.. but because of no interest and competing ideas simply died.

And the next generation kids, 12-34 have very little interest in anything
radio. Ipods, cell phones, the Internet and social networking groups are far
more important and interesting to them.

David ask any 12 year old kid if they listen to radio. you won't like the
answer.

A 13 year old who cuts my lawn has no radio in his possession. He
listens to mp3's on his cell phone. Or music on his PC. I asked him what
stations he's familiar with, and he could name Mix, B96, and The
Drive...but couldn't tell me what they actually played.

He claims never to have heard AM radio and didn't know what WLS nor
WGN was.