Old July 30th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] greenhornet@cato.com is offline

Default (OT) S. California Earthquake

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:49:06 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
WLS 890 Chicago is reporting a preliminary 5.8 magnitude earthquake that
hit the
greater Los Angeles area at 1842Z.

It was a 5.4 and really is what is called a small quake.

Yep, since you have a GED I guess I'll just have to take your word on that one.

I kept checking USGS today and it was downrated: it is quite common
for the initially reported reading to change as more data is crunched.
As to Eduardo..........even a blind squirrell finds an acorn now &
again.

From the USGS:
A magnitude-5.4 earthquake rattled Los Angeles today, causing strong
shaking, minor damage and was felt from Arizona to Nevada.

Nearly 50 aftershocks have been recorded so far, most of them small,
many of them felt, the largest being a magnitude-3.8.

The last notable earthquakes causing significant damage in the area
were the Jan. 17, 1994, magnitude-6.7 Northridge earthquake and the
Oct. 1, 1987, magnitude-5.9 Whittier Narrows earthquake. In 1999, the
magnitude-7.1 Hector Mine earthquake in a remote part of the Mojave
Desert was widely felt through the greater Los Angeles region, but
caused no damage.