Old July 31st 08, 10:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Andy[_5_] Andy[_5_] is offline

Default MA5B background noise

I have taken down the beam and did a continuity test and re-checked that the
beam is put together correct and all seems to be ok.
Interesting about is could be power line noise. There are some over heads
street power cables close by that supplies power to the houses. Strange how
its just the beam that is effected by this. I have had HF verticals up here
before with no problem.
I have just laid my hands on a Timewave ANC-4. Using its own small antenna
it can cut out 80% of the noise but also cuts down the received signal to
less than being received on the Cobwebb. But at least its a good start in
the right direction. There was no manual with it. Any ideas on how to get it
working better would be appreciated.
I will let you all know how I get on.

73 Andy

"Jim Kelley" wrote in message
Andy wrote:
I have managed to make an mp3 up. The first 10 seconds is on the Cobwebb
followed by another 10 seconds on the MA5B beam pointed in there
direction and then back and forth every 10 seconds. The click is the
antenna switch clicking over.

It can be found here.
http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ma5b/ma5b4.mp3

If anyone needs to here a clearer one let me know, but it will be best
after the contest has finished.

Andy

Judging by the signal to noise ratio, it sounds like the beam is a better
antenna than the cobweb when it's pointed at the transmitting station.
You might be able to tell that more readily if you turned off the AGC.
You can even watch the AGC changing on the Windows Media Player spectrum
scope when you switch antennas.

Quieter antennas are usually quieter both ways.

ac6xg