Old July 31st 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bruce in alaska Bruce in alaska is offline

Default MA5B background noise

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Andy wrote:
Interesting about is could be power line noise.

At my last QTH, the culprit on 40m was a ~33 foot
ground wire running down my front yard power pole
from a transformer and capacitor. It caused my
vertical to have 2 S-units more noise than my
horizontal dipole.

Cecil;

Don't quit there!

Did you ever manage to have it "fixed?"

How did you manage it? Who did you report it to?

Thanks in advance,
regards,
JS

Usually the your Electrical Utility, will have a supervisor in the
Distribution Department, that is responsible for dealing with
interference issues. Some utilities are more responsive than others.
When I lived down in the Flatlands, (Seattle, WA) Seattle City Light
had a guy that regularly meet with the local Interference Committee
which also included an FCC Engineer, the local ARRL Section Mgr, and
just about all the Marine and LMR Service Shops. He was also a Ham,
and used the information, developed by the committee, to track down
broken and failing insulators thru out their Distribution System.
The one outfit we could NEVER get to join the committee, was the
Cable TV Franshisee, and they generated MOST of the complaints.
Now I live out in the bush, and generate ALL my own power, so I am
the Utility, and I have to find and fix all the LF/MF/HF Noise if I want
to hear better. I usually have an MF/HF noise floor of less that 1.5
S-Units on my Kenwood TS690. I can hear, way farther than I can Talk,
due to the local Noise at the Receiving Station, masking out my
transmissions. It is frustrating to hear folks on 75 Meters with
S-7 Signals, but they can't hear me, due to S-9 noise at their end.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply