Old August 1st 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default ARRL 1944 handbook for sale

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Don Bowey wrote:

On 7/31/08 5:44 PM, in article
, "walt"
wrote:

no cover. first $ 10 plus postage gets it .

my zip = 06705

tnx WALT ex- K1RTS

If I recall right, the 1944 issue had some power line carrier transmission
equipment schematics. $10 is a bargain for some interesting history.

I don't know about the edition, but you're right, there was apparently
material to compensate for the lack of amateur radio during the
war years. I seem to recall they were also reoriented a bit, to
be a more general training book for radio men in general, but I
can't remember where I read that.

I can't remember the publishing history, I'd suspect unless they
could sell the handbook as a training aid for the radio men
in the military, they likely didn't publish a handbook every year.

I think QST kept publishing, unlike during WWI, and that too would
have been a source of those ground communication type things.

I have a few QSTs from about 1947, before all the bands had come
back, so it's an interesting transition period. The war is over,
some privileges restored, but not all, meanwhile everyone all excited
about the bands about to be restored, and lots of articles about
surplus.

Michael VE2BVW