Old August 3rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Default Telescopic aluminum question

I am considering putting up a ground mounted vertical antenna, based
on using telescopic aluminum tubing such as is available from Texas
Towers or DX Engineering. Tubing available ranges from .500 inch to
2.125" with corresponding increase in price as diameters increase.

My vertical should be limited to a maximum of 30 feet, but preferrably
around 23 - 25 feet. I will feed it with an SGC coupler at the base and
operate 80M - 10M.

My question: Using the 6' long aluminum pieces, what is the minimum
diameter sizes I should start with to enable the antenna stand up to a
75mph wind UN-GUYED. Also, how much "overlap" should I use in the
telescoping pieces?

I will consider alternative means of building the vertical, but I
really wish it to be unguyed .

Any info or recommendations appreciated. TNX

Ed K7AAT