Old August 3rd 08, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Telescopic aluminum question

Ed wrote:

Thanks for that info, Roy. I will finally download that demo software
and try it within the next 24 hours. Also, I appreciate the comments on
the other. While I can't easily get 12 foot sections, I'm sure I'll do
ok with the 6 foot sections. Here on the Oregon Coast we get storms with
sustained winds exceeding 75MPH sometimes. I would lower any antenna if
NWS were to suggest such a storm was approaching, but I'd like to have
confidence with the antenna if some gusts reached that speed on rare
occasion.

The high takeoff for 75M would be fine as most of my work in that
band would be within the State of Oregon, anyway.

Ed K7AAT

Doesn't aluminum corrode pretty fast at the coast? My parents lived in
Yachats, and aluminum didn't hold up very well at all -- although I'm
sure that some alloys would be better than others. At best, you'll have
to make heroic efforts to avoid electrolytic corrosion. I'll bet Danny,
K6MHE could add a lot to this.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL