Old August 4th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Default Telescopic aluminum question

My thanks to those who have responded so far. Much food for thought.
Roy, I downloaded the demo program.... BUT.... I'm going to have to
spend some time learning its operation... it appears to have a
considerable learning curve, which I'm sure will be well worth the
time.... when I get it.

Commets on salt water corrosion have been noted. I'm about 1/4 mile
from the nearest salt water.... and down wind. My mobile RV vertical
antenna has been parked here for about 3 months now and is already
showing early signs of the corrosion.

My thoughts at the moment are I can either easily remove the aluminum
elements and clean them every 6 months or so, OR perhaps I should use
an insulated wire supported by a fibre glass support. I note someone
mentioned the DX-IS poles out of Georgia. Although I swore I would stick
to only the vertical I originally spoke of, the idea of a quality
fibreglass mast does seem to have benefits for my location. If anyone
else can recommend other sources, or their opinions of robust fibreglass
masts, I'm receptive. Given the comments on projected poorer
performance of a 30 foot vertical, I suppose I need consider one that is
higher, but I have CC&R's, and while not enforced, I do not wish to
draw attention to myself.

Thanks to all, so far.

Ed K7AAT