Old August 5th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default CCrane Radio Plus

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 21:27:20 -0500, Scott Nelson
wrote:

Is this radio really as good as they say? The price has been reduced
and I am thinking of getting one. Would there be a better choice?
Mainly interested in AM listening.

Thanks

I have two, a CCRadio and a CCRadio Plus. There used to be a problem
with the display burning out, but that's been fixed. If you buy from
CCrane, they will service it if there are problems.

It's fine for AM listening, but I couldn't tell you if it is better
than other receivers. It has a built-in 8-inch ferrite AM antenna, and
accepts an external AM antenna and ground wire.

I also have the GE SuperRadio, which is a lot cheaper but has a better
speaker setup, altho it has an analogue dial that isn't too accurate.
Still, it has an 8-inch ferrite antenna and receives AM well. It
accepts external AM or FM antennas for longer reception.

Another option would be either of these radios with the Select-a-tenna
tuner coil which really pulls in distant AM stations, but only if they
are reasonably in the clear, frequency-wise.

bob
k5qwg