Old August 6th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default Help me buy VHF/UHF television antenna? Can't decide!

"JB" wrote:

While the 1080 UHF is fairly sharp with some potential gain, the VHF
elements seem to be little more than "rabbit ears" - In fact it is a swept
dipole, so will be bi-directional and easily pick up reflections from behind
and around you.. Sweeping the elements has the effect of allowing the
elements to be better matched at odd multiples. The 2016 will have a broad
front lobe (less directional) have good bandwidth, and signals from behind
will be blockedfor UHF and VHF. It's drawback will be ice and wind loading.
Still I would have really liked a 1080 with a few (like 2 or 3) more dipoles
out behind for a better protection against reflections . I scratch my head
to see a 15 db corner reflector UHF and 0db VHF dipole together. As if the
VHF were so strong it was an afterthought. I have a wee bit more than that
(same UHF but with 7 VHF dipoles) with some elevation looking at a mountain
site about 75 miles away. My elevation just barely allows the signal to
clear a pass 10 miles away and I have perfect Anolog reception while
neighbors who are one stop closer struggle for signal.

Ok thanks for that explanation! I am in fact a general
class ham but haven't operated for years....no equip
either. And am def not an antenna expert. So its nice
to get some "science" on why one antenna is better than
another when it comes to DTV! Thanks!

Don't forget about good quality RG-6 for your feedline, and keep it as short
as possible (but it is better to get the antenna higher to clear the next
door building). This is more critical for UHF stations (perhaps why 1080
went that way).

For sure! Matter of fact I see some good prices on
Philips RG6 at local Walmart

Now I just gotta find a J mount for a sat dish as that
is how I'm mounting the CM 2016 when I get one. I will
install on the SIDE of a roof peak.... the fascia....
just like you would a sat dish

Gotta figure some way to get up there tho as no ladders
big enough. Guess I can borrow one from a friend