Old August 6th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default Help me buy VHF/UHF television antenna? Can't decide!

"JB" wrote:

That is a complication but not if your antenna can just see across the roof
of the other building, then it can actually help. If the main signal source
is reduced, reflections will be more pronounced. The problem with digital,
all you have is a bar graph. Reception problems are totally masked. The
reception problems that degrade Analog still degrade Digital, you just can't
see it. I have seen situations where there is lots of signal on the bar
graph, but the picture still breaks up because of distortion of the signal.
So while Analog is still there, get your antenna aligned and locked down and
hope no one builds another building.

Well you have sure opened my eyes up to the importance
of a DIRECTIONAL antenna when it comes to DTV!! I'm
lucky in that all stations locally are broadcast from
same towers in same location..... so only one direction
to worry abt. Again my zip is 63401

Seems like the more directional the antenna the better
as it will be "blind" to multi-path. Yes?

Sometiimes pointing the antenna at a tall building or mountain will give a
better signal because all stations are bouncing from that building..

If you can stand on your roof with binocculars and see the broadcasting
site, and there are no 12-100 story buildings or mountains around, put your
antenna there and be done with it. Keep in mind that if you find yourself
running 75 feet of coax, it would be like putting up an $80 antenna just to
shorten the coax to 35 feet.

Well I cant see the towers but they are there