Old August 6th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Help me buy VHF/UHF television antenna? Can't decide!

wrote:
"JB" wrote:

That is a complication but not if your antenna can just see across the roof
of the other building, then it can actually help. If the main signal source
is reduced, reflections will be more pronounced. The problem with digital,
all you have is a bar graph. Reception problems are totally masked. The
reception problems that degrade Analog still degrade Digital, you just can't
see it. I have seen situations where there is lots of signal on the bar
graph, but the picture still breaks up because of distortion of the signal.
So while Analog is still there, get your antenna aligned and locked down and
hope no one builds another building.

Well you have sure opened my eyes up to the importance
of a DIRECTIONAL antenna when it comes to DTV!! I'm
lucky in that all stations locally are broadcast from
same towers in same location..... so only one direction
to worry abt. Again my zip is 63401

Seems like the more directional the antenna the better
as it will be "blind" to multi-path. Yes?

Except that some receivers actually use the multipath signals to enhance
the overall SNR, by essentially delaying and recombining them in an
adaptive equalizer. So directivity, if it comes at the expense of gain,
might not be what you want.