Old August 6th 08, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
News Features News Features is offline

Default Fluorescent light RFI solved

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this, but I wanted to get
this information out there to help others.

Our electrician arrived with brand new fluorescent under-counter lights to
install in our new kitchen. I told him, "Hey, I already bought lights at
Expo! Can you simply install mine?"

For some reason he was very reluctant to install my lights. He insisted that
his were just as good, if not better, than mine. I didn't have a strong
preference so I let him install his lights.

When it was finally dark, my wife turned them on to get the full effect. To
my horror, the AM radio two rooms away was instantly and completely
obliterated with RFI. I ran out to the shack and confirmed noise all the way
up to 20 meters.

The next day, I removed his lights and installed mine, and I was extremely
pleased to note not a hint of noise on any frequency, unless the receiver
was 6 inches from the light.

His lights: Bright Inch by Elite Lighting.

Mine: SlimLite by Hera Lighting.
http://www.heralighting.com/hera/slimlite.html

They cost more, but they're worth every penny.

Regards,

Al W6LX