Old August 6th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bruce in alaska Bruce in alaska is offline

Default Can I manually adjust my gain?

In article
,
Krys wrote:

I guess that is why I assumed it was maybe not enough gain.
The antenna outside is connected to the receiver by a RG58 cable. It
is only covered in electrical tape at the connection. It was rusty but
I have changed that all and the signal is the same.

There is your problem, right there.... RG-58 is not really very good at
VHF Frequencies in lengths longer than 25 Ft. You should get some good
cable, like Beldon 9913 or LMR400 and have someone who knows how to
install the proper connectors on it, do the work, of replacing the
Feedline. I suspect your losing over 50% of your signal in the Feedline
and connectors.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply