Old August 8th 08, 04:50 AM
Skyhawk Skyhawk is offline
Junior Member

My opinion on Hughes Satellite for an ISP, or for Internet service, is that I wouldn't like it.

I have a friend who has started using Hughes Satellite and they're stuck in some sort of contract that's for either 2 years or 4 years, but I have forgotten which one she stated.

I have forgotten whether she told me the cost of Hughes Satellite or not, but she stated that it's expensive, there's a megabyte limit to how much you can download per day, there are unlimited uploads though, and there are a few hours late at night when you have what they call something like "Free Hours," which may mean they don't count in the download limit or something.

I wouldn't want it as you don't get "unlimited service" by the way she made it sound...and of course satellites do "suffer" with signal loss during extreme cloudiness, storms, etc...but I get signal loss now even from the Digital TV stations now as their signals "act" like satellite signals in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
From alt.satellite.direcpc -

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 02:59:56 GMT, EARTHLINK.NET NEWS wrote:
this is the second day in a row that we have not had satellite usuage. I
cant understand why we didnt get email
prior to maintence or whatever the problem is.I have had
satellite for 5 years now and have experienced nothing like this.

Apparently, HughesNet (kb9rqz's ISP) has had a major breakdown in
Germantown, MD, and all satellite services are down. This weekend will
serve as a perfect example of what happens when Mark is NOT around to
flood the groups.

Bottom line: No Mark, almost no problems.