Old August 8th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell John Ferrell is offline

Default Phase array question

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:55:29 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

I've taken college classes in antennas and hence have a pretty good feel for
some of the mathematics behind it all, but I've found that at times I don't
have good, intuitive explanations for various antenna behaviors -- and I'm not
at all good at being able to look at some fancy antenna and start rattling off
estimates of the directivity, front to back ratio, etc. -- so I wanted to ask
a simple question on a two-element phased array:

First, start with one antenna. Feed it 1W, and assume that in some
"preferred" direction at some particular location the (electric) field
strength is 1mV/m.

Now, take two antennas, and space them and/or phase their feeds such that in
the same preferred direction the individual antenna patterns add. I.e., we're
expecting a 6dB gain over the single antenna (but only at that location).
Since we start off by splitting the power to each antenna (1/2W to each), that
initially seems impossible, since 1/2W+1/2W = 1W -- should imply the same
1mV/m field strength. But this is an incorrect analysis, in that powers don't
add directly. Instead, the fields add... hence, each antenna alone will now
produce 707uV/m (at the one particular location in question), so the two
together produce 1.414mV/m which is the same as if the single antenna had been
fed with 2W. Hence the 6dB gain we're after! (This analysis also implies
there must be other locations that now receive 1mV/m in order to conserve
energy.)

Is that correct? "Powers don't add, field strengths do" is obvious enough,
but definitely leads to some slightly non-intuitvely-obvious (to me) results.
By extension of the above, though, it becomes obvious that (in theory) one can
build an array with any desired amount of gain, the beamwidth just has to
become narrower and narrower, of course.

Thanks,
---Joel

What Roy did not tell you is that his program has a free demo version
(http://eznec.com/) that will will provide quick answers. The learning
curve for EZNEC is pretty sharp for about 10 minutes and then it
shallows out.

John Ferrell W8CCW