Old November 12th 03, 06:24 PM
Jim Kelley

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Do we agree that the amount of differential will depend on the number of
'degrees missing' from the length of the antenna?

No. In a few minutes, I'll post a description of a more recent
measurement I made that refutes this. Of course, elementary circuit
theory refutes it also, which is the basis for my disagreement.

Perhaps the statement was poorly worded. The presumption is that the
"missing degrees" of length are supplied by the coil. Do you believe this
is untrue? Realize of course, that a sufficiently simple model can fail to
describe any phenomenon which has been oversimplified in the model.

Do we agree that the position of the loading coil plays a significant.
role in determining how much of a current differential will appear

across
it?

If you're talking about a physically long coil, yes. If you're talking
about a physically small coil, no.

Yes, Roy. The discussion is limited to those coils which cause a current
differential from one end to the other. The other kind don't meet the
requirement. :-)

But if you believe that the amount of antenna the coil "replaces"
determines the differential, wouldn't this be true regardless of the
placement of the coil in the antenna?

No. Note the shape of the current vs position curve along the antenna. It
doesn't change linearly with position. There are relatively flat regions
near the ends, and there's region nearer the middle where the current
changes rapidly with position. Presumably it's related to the way the
impedance changes with position along the antenna.

Are you going to insist that it be one of these ferrite core jobs, or is

it
more like ones on a HF6V?

Is there something about a "ferrite job" that makes it follow different
rules?

The 'ferrite jobs' provide considerably more inductance for a given coil
size. Fewer turns, shorter length of wire, physically smaller, no
radiation. Do you agree there's a difference between air and ferrite?

Only after people understand
how a physically small inductor works will they have any chance of
understanding how a physically long one does.

Which people are those, Roy?

73, Jim AC6XG