Old August 10th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo[_4_] David Eduardo[_4_] is offline

Default Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

How often is the Utah 890 station off? And when did they start
broadcasting
at night?

For most of its early years in the 80's they were off at night always. And,
like any smaller market station, they go off for maintenance and WLS is an
easy catch from the SW then.

The changes that have taken place are all about the overall noise levels,
not with the stations themselves.

It's my recollection that a number of stations started night time
broadcasting on the "clear channel" frequencies around 1980 or so. But,
hey, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, in 1968 or 1958 or whatever, the
clear
channels really were clear channels.

Most, if I recall correctly, were granted in the mid to late 70's and went
on as soon as possible I can see that most had a license by 1980 and many,
like Grand Junction, much earlier. Since all were directional, we can assume
periods of up to several years between CP and license as the directionals
are proofed and proven stable.