Old August 11th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Frank Dresser Frank Dresser is offline

Default Move Am's to channels 5&6?

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

There is practically no difference in night operation of AM in either
quantity or power of stations between 1978 and today.

How many daytimers were allowed to go to 24 hour operation in the 70s

and
80s? One example is WJJD which started wiping out KSL's very listenable
nighttime signal in Chicago during that time period.

The clears were broken down by the FCC in the 70's, and along with that

came
the new rules on protection that allowed quite a few stations to add or
improve night service.

Ah, the 70s. Quite a few did add to co channel interference back then.
That's just how I remember it.

I'd also question if the listenership to KSL in Chicago was over 12 people
anyway. Remember, JJD signed off at sunset in SLC, which was in summer

late
at night in Chicago. Since overall radio listening, since the 50's, has
mostly been 6 AM to 7 PM, who would possibly be listening at that hour to
KSL?

Some, not many. I'd be surprised if any were considering products from the
Salt Lake City advertisers.

In general, my statement stands. The band is only minutely different today
from what it was in 1978.

So, It's just a semantic debate on the significance of words like "quite a
few" and "minutely".

Frank Dresser