Old November 12th 03, 07:06 PM
Jim Kelley

"Mark Keith" wrote in message
om...
So far, your tests,
while not being a bugcatcher type coil seem to match my expectations
fairly closely.

I'd like to hear an explanation for ANY current difference across a coil
that is supposedly behaving as a lumped inductor. But the test really
should be for the same type of antenna used in Yuri's discussion; A
physically short antenna, with an electrically long coil, positioned away
from the feedpoint. One misconception here has been about the physical
length of the coil with respect to wavelength. That's not the most relevant
issue, in my opinion. The wire comprising the coil also has a physical
length. The relationship between physical length and electrical length is
velocity factor. The same thing is true for a coil. The velocity factor
for a wire does not go to infinity simply by virtue of the fact that it has
been wound into a coil. This is basically what is being implied when
someone argues that loading coils do not effectively supliment the
electrical length of an antenna.

73, Jim AC6XG