Old August 13th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default Move Am's to channels 5&6?

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

But none breaking new ground. Far be it from me to agree with Rickets,
but he makes the same point I do. Breaking new ground, taking risks is not
even on the radar, today. So, what the listeners pick is what they hear,
what sounds familiar, and with very few exceptions, what they've come to
expect from contemporary music. More of the same. Different names.
Different performers. Same clothes, same sounds, same haircuts.
Interchangeably, more of the same.

Most stations that play currents add new songs with a certain regularity.
These are always songs listeners have never heard, since promo copies, even
with the internet, get to radio before anyone else.

I don't like music formats of any kind. Short playlists are only good
one time. When I hear that list start over I change stations or turn it
off. After years of doing this I got sick of hearing the same damn thing
over and over again so I don't bother anymore and listen to CD's if I
want to hear music.

I'm not so sure that what's driving SiriusXM subscriptions, other
than Howard Stern's noise, is a desire to get something fresh. Most of
the music channels are programmed in the same way as terrestrial radio,
sometimes by the very people who ****ed up radio in the first place. But
there are channels that are counterintuitively programmed. And those can
be refreshing. VERY long playlists, well mixed, and with music that just
isn't heard on the radio. I listen to XM's Fine Tuning channel for hours
at a time, often day after day, when I get into the mood, and never hear
a repeat. And always music that's more interesting than anything that's
on the air, today. There are other channels with deep playlists, you
just have to search for them.

And there are alternatives to the talk stations. Hell, if Rush were
on XM, I'd have no reason to have my tuners, anymore.

Interesting coincidence....WBEZ, here..the public station has
overhauled their weekend lineup. I used to turn on WBEZ and carry it
through till midnight on weekends. They still have Car Talk, but they've
gotten rid of Michael Feldman's Whaddayaknow, and moved This American
Life to after Prairie Home Companion. Filling the time between 10a and
5p, with shows that are less than interesting.

At the same time XM had picked up most of the shows I used to enjoy
on WBEZ nearly in the same order with the same time slots. Guess where
my attention went.

XM has since made some changes in the lineup, so I still have to hunt
for something after 3 till PHC, but it's not as dramatic a change as WBEZ.

I find that I listen to terrestrial radio less as time moves on. No
big surprise. Terrestrial radio stopped serving me years ago.

I suspect that you're in the same boat: Short of patience with
programming for idiots, and long enough on experience to want more from
your media than cash cow, commodity programming.

After all, that's what's driven many of us into shortwave listening.