Old August 14th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Count Floyd[_2_] Count Floyd[_2_] is offline

Default Basic Antenna Question

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:13:40 UTC, wrote:

On Aug 14, 6:48’pm, "Count Floyd"
wrote:
On using a long wire of about 50' stretched between two poles with the
ends directly north and south, will I get the signal from the sides(W
and E) or from the ends?
--

Bob, don't let them get all testicle on you. 50 ft of wire is very
omnidirectional and will get plenty signal off the sides.

The only thing I would do though to maximise performance is get it up
high as possible and terminate it into a 9:1 matching transformer if
your radio hasn't got a hi-z or 500 Ohm terminal. Most tabletops have
50 Ohm input and that requires a matching transformer to optimise
reception. If you are talking about a portable then the terminating
value can be anything and it's not all that critical, so don't worry
about it.

Even 500 ft longwires are surprisingly omnidirectional. They only
become quite directional if they are 1000 ft long, especially when
they are terminated at the end into a resistor to ground.

A simple 50 ft antenna strung along two poles is not rocket science -
just have fun experimenting and enjoy your radio's.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Thanks John,
I have it hooked up to the Hammalund HQ-145 or another one of my
"vintage" receivers. I envy your beverages and your Wellbrook loop!
Bob