Old August 15th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
terryS terryS is offline

Default Boatanchor prices

On Aug 14, 1:27*pm, wrote:
Well, in one respect, vintage equipment is a real bargain.

This past year I purchased a set of Heathkit SB-series amateur radio
“twins” for the collective price of about $350. *If you include
related expenses need for getting the set on the air, the total cost
was probably about $500. *That’s in current dollars (2008).
Accounting for inflation, this is equivalent to $80 in 1968, a year
during which the same and equivalent items could be purchased. *Going
the other way, I’d say that in 1968, the same Heathkit station would
have cost about $650, which in today’s dollars is about $4000. *So,
even if I had been ripped off and paid twice what I did this year, I
still would have paid a low price.

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

Am a bit older than most who have mentioned it here!!!!
No problem; on eBay for example; see an item and before bidding
decide,
a) Do I really need/want it? Or am I just being nostagically old and
foolish.
b) If yes; what sort of cost limit am I prepared to go to. If bidding
is 'brisk' do I want to go a 'little more' either in dollars or a
percentage? Usually that answer 'no'.
c) Forget about it. Noting however the price that it eventually sells
for future info.
d) End of discussion.