Old August 17th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default An antenna to listen with.

What kind of receiver? A small "scanner" type receiver, for example,
typically overloads if connected to a large antenna, so a short whip
works best for much of the range.

And how "good" is "good"? If you use a long antenna at high frequencies,
it'll have multiple lobes. So there will be many directions where you
won't hear very well. Is that ok for your application? No single antenna
will do terribly well over that entire frequency range.

My suggestion is that the person asking the question get a roll of wire
(hookup or magnet wire is fine) and experiment, to see what's best, or
good enough, for his particular receiver, location, and listening habits.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

wrote:
This is a very general question. I'm looking for a very 'general'
answer, nothing particularly specific or 'brand' oriented.
What is a good listening or SWL antenna? Range would be from the
broadcast bands up through VHF/UHF. The 'attributes' of bigger and
higher come to mind, but how about something more than that?
- 'Doc

Keeping the answers sort of general, not too technical for the average
person who knows little about radio stuff.