Old August 19th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Ham or CB Antenna?

DES wrote:

What the hell, public forum or not, I need some help here, and this
guy is giving legal users a bad name.

You have not in any way proved that he is NOT a legal user.

What I've gotten out of your posts a

1. He is having conversations using a radio.

2. Your stereo system picks them up.

3. You are annoyed by this.

Anything else is in the end irrelevant.

Since he is speaking to someone else, he is NOT broadcasting and may very
well be operating legally. Since you have not said where you are, people
have assumed that you are in the U.S. If that is not the case, this
is the time to say where you are.

I've approached the guy *several* times over the past few yrs and
asked him very nicely to lower the boost/gain (whatever it's called)
on his radio and he has complaied to a certain extent.

That's very nice of him. If he is operating legally, then there is NOTHING
that he MUST do, and he was trying to accomodate you. You were acting
like a neighbor who calls the fire department everytime someone lights
their barbeque.

His broadcast were only coming through my stereo speakers during low
passages at the time.

How were they doing that? Do they come through with the stereo off? If they
do it's a problem with the speakers and their wiring. If they don't,
it's a problem with the stereo itself, YOUR antenna, or YOUR power wiring.

As of a few months ago, it is now so bad, that his broadcast are now
coming through my TV speakers, and causing horizontal lines in the
picture. (on all four of my TV's) And it's so bad on my computer
speakers now, that I have to turn them off. As far as listening to my
stereo, I can't even do that now if he is broadcasting.

Now we are getting somewhere. Are they connected to cable TV? Do you have
an external antenna?

So I approached him again, only this time, he told me to "F off", that
"he wasn't doing anything illegal".

I don't agree with the method, but the message is correct. If he is
not doing anything illegal, it's your problem, not his. He's tried to
make a reasonable accomodation (reducing power), but you've done nothing
except complain more.

When I got home, not only was the broadcast even louder, he was
telling one of his radio buddies about the "incident" in FULL detail.

So, I know for a FACT it is him.

I know just need to know what kind of radio he is using.

Most likely he is using a ham transmiter in the AM mode. These are quite
rare nowadays, but are perfectly legal. If he were using FM mode it
would sound like a loud continuous buzz, and if it were single side band,
the more popular mode, it would sound like donald duck and you probably
could not understand him.

If he were using morse code, it would sound like buzzing that stops and
starts quickly.

He may be using a CB as many of them are AM, but generally they have a range
of about 5-10 miles. Even with illegal power, due to global cooling (lack
of sunspots), they won't reach far beyond line of sight for another 3-5
years.

At this point if I were you, I would go knock on his door, appologize for
the misunderstanding in the past and ask for him to either give you advice
on what to do to resolve the problem or recommend someone to ask.

My guess is as a start that YOU have an electrician come out and check
the GROUND wire on your electrical system. Make sure YOUR main panel is
in fact grounded and all the outlets you have are really grounded.

Unless you have ISO-BAR (or better) surge protectors, throw them away.
It's not a waste of good money, they are worthless trash anyway.

After that unplug the antenna connections from all of your TV's and
stereo system. Have him transmit a test signal. If they come through the
TV's, or stereo, get power line filters. If no signal comes through the
TV or stereo, and it starts when you reconnect the antenna, get a better
antenna (shielded wire) connection with a proper ground and a "high pass"
filter.

Get good computer speakers anyway. Try USB ones instead of ones that
plug into your sound card.

Geoff.