Old August 19th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Ham or CB Antenna?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:52:18 -0700 (PDT), DES
wrote:

So, if I'm hearing him on a daily bases speaking to someone that is
700 miles away, then it has to be a Ham?

There is nothing to distinguish a Ham from a CBer here.

He's obviously not legal.

As you came here to make a determination of class of operation, your
statement is clearly a guess, not "obviously" a correct observation.

Simple point in fact is that even for a professional, it is
exceedingly difficult to determine a power level that is not legal.
You, as a citizen, are perfectly empowered to notify the nearest FCC
field office that is equipped to do this, but I wouldn't hold my
breath. Your tax rebate check robbed that agency of enforcement power
funds so you could buy a new TV. You can change that at the ballot
box - expect a higher tax bill if you want government to solve this.

He has been getting louder and louder over
the years to the point of what I described in my earlier post about
the problem with the TV's now.

And even the very first time I approached him, I mentioned that I knew
he was broadcasting illegally, and that we all have our hobbies, but
his was interfering with mine, which at the time was home theater. He
didn't deny that he wasn't illegal, at the time, and he did lower the
power, for a while.

I've approached this guy at least 5 times in the past few yrs, and
every time he has lowered the power, for a while. Not this time,
though, and it is now out of control.

Yes, not pleasant at all. Your complaint is neither new, nor original
over the course of 80 years now. In all practicality, your only real
option is to go to Radio Shack and stock up on suppressors. Save
yourself the added postage cost of sending a letter to the FCC and the
delay of bureaucracy waiting for them to tell you the same thing.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC