Old August 20th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Highland Ham Highland Ham is offline

Default Burying coax idea

Joe wrote:
Have any of you ever used a gas powered lawn edger to bury a cable/s? I
was thinking of trying this. I wonder if I set the edger blade at about
2 " or so deep and took my time if it would work. I need to bury 3
cables from my Direct TV dish and a RG8 coax from my vertical to my
house. Please post if you think this would work or have tried it.
Thanks.

===========================
Apart from with which equipment you bury the coax cables ,I would
recommend that you run the cables inside plastic (polyethylene) water
pipe instead of allowing the cables to be buried directly .You then can
use 'normal' coax including the 75 Ohms stuff used for satellite TV dish.
Where the pipe with cables come out of the ground make a 180 degree bend
such that the open end points downwards ,avoiding water ingress while
keeping an open vent preventing condensation inside the plastic pipe.

The plastic pipe also provides mechanical protection .

I installed a TV satellite dish in the garden running the coax
underground as per the above .
That was 16 years ago ..............never had a problem !

Frank , GM0CSZ/KN6WH in wet northern Scotland