Old August 22nd 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Burying coax idea

Owen Duffy wrote:
"Hal Rosser" wrote in
:

I have also heard of buying a new chain and bar for your chainsaw,
then using the OLD one to cut a path through the yard.

In this part of the world, you can rent a Ditch-Witch or Trench-Wench which
use a similar concept, but the chain carries cutters designed for earth and
rocks rather than one designed for wet timber.

Ditch-Witchs and Trench-Wenchs aren't very good for cutting trees, nor are
chainsaws very good for digging trenches.

Perhaps. But I use a chainsaw none the less. I've got a cheap electric
one just for the purpose.

You don't have to invent a new tool for this application, plumbers and
electricians have been inserting narrow conduits / pipes in earth trenches
for decades using these types of machines.

Ah, but that rental cost is something. I'd be looking at hundreds of
dollars each time I do it. Thousands if I hire someone.

That 40 dollars I spent for the electric chansaw is cheap by comparison.
And very very quick. Yeah, it ruins the chainsaw blade and bar. At 40
dollars, I consider the whole thing disposable. I could buy a lot of
them for the price of renting the trencher.

I should make the standard disclaimer here. I'm not suggesting that
anyone use this method, In fact, don't try this at home kids. Anything
sharp can be dangerous, so leave everything you do to the professionals.
(that was a disclaimer, not a jab at your sugesstions, Owen)

An alternative to renting a machine may be to find a plumber who
specialiese in in-ground sprinkler systems... and get a quote for him to
dig your trenches.

I've always had the problem of wanting to do so many things, yet my
resources are a little limited. So I get a little creative at times.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -