Old August 22nd 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default Sending power into rig unused for 30 years : Precautions ?

On Aug 17, 6:44*pm, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
and its a pain in the
arse to set up, connect meters, gingerly spend time slowly
incrementing the voltage - life is too short to stuff around......

Hey, you got time to do Rocket Science, thats fine. Each to his own.

I think that turning it on, blowing up the capacitors that are gonna
blow up, and then replacing the ones that actually did blow up is a
fine procedure, myself.

There is a certain pussyfoot attitude about either cranking up the
variac gingerly, or simply recapping the whole radio, that is not
really appropriate to somebody (me!) who really wants to see smoke
coming out at least once in a while.

Only gotcha, if the bad capacitor takes out a transformer, that's a
PITA. Not that I've never rewound bad transformers or rewound them for
a project, but having to rewind a transformer just because I was
impatient is a little embarassing.

Tim.