Old August 23rd 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default How do you get a ground rod to 6 feet ?

Dave WB3DWE wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:29:03 GMT, "Wayne"
wrote:

-
I lived for many years in the Dallas area. The caliche was down about 2
feet and was about a foot thick. I had to dig a hole with a shovel down
the caliche, then use a heavy hammer and long chisel to get through the
caliche. Then, backfill and proceed as normal. Don't know what your
configuration would be. Good luck.

Thanks Wayne.
As a last resort I will hack a trench with a pick and lay in the rod
at a shallow angle to the surface. Would this give an adequate
ground ? I could also bond it to an outdoor brass spigot
10 yards away or even to an anchor fence in the other direction.
Dave WB3DWE

-
In my opinion the trench would be ok, but I'll leave that to the experts on
the group.

However, I remember chiseling through the caliche to be annoying, but not
that difficult with the right tools. It can be done with a "shooter" style
shovel, but that is a bit more effort. However, I doubt if you would ever
get a copper rod driven through without some major damage to the rod.