Old August 26th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default E-Field between 2 parallel wires

On Aug 22, 2:49 pm, Jon Mcleod wrote:
MAYBE NOT EXACTLY THE RIGHT GROUP, but..

If I tape 2 insulated, parallel wires to the wall, x cm apart, and then
drive a sinewave into them (Vo p-p), how can I calculate the field
strength between the 2 wires?

For instance, 120KHz, 100V, 5cm apart, what is the field in V/cm between
the two wires?

Any references or information on how to calculate this would be greatly
appreciated.

I'm tempted to make some statements that I can't quite prove without
doing a bit of math, but I'll refrain...

But I will recommend the program ATLC ("Arbitrary Transmission Line
Calculator"), which does calculate the electric and magnetic fields
numerically.

Except for changes in the current distribution because of changes in
skin depth versus frequency and changes the dielectric versus
frequency, I don't think there's any effect of frequency on the fields
distribution for a TEM-type line, where the current in the two
conductors is equal amplitude but opposite direction and the line is
in a uniform dielectric. Taping it to a wall will make is "quasi-TEM"
but you can expect the electric field direction to be very close to
being in a plane perpendicular to the axis of the wires.

Cheers,
Tom