Old August 28th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
The Dude! The Dude! is offline

Default Mounting an Antron 99 in a tricky spot. HELP!

You mentioned a peaked roof, maybe someone could install the antenna on
a channelmaster "Eave Mount". Not much hardware and only a few lags to
fasten it and they work very well, especially for an antenna the size of
a 99, Lots of luck, Rollie

If it's not too late, ditch the A-99 and go for an I-Max 2000 instead.
Don't waste money on the "ground plane" kit for either antenna.

Hey Scott, Don't have either ant's but why bail on the ground plane kits?
Waste of aluminum/money? Thought they provided a measure (albeit small) of
increased power/reception.

I agree. Everything I have read indicates that the gound plane makes the
antenna less lossy. I provides a return path for the signal. It also
squeezes the signal a bit toward the horizon, resulting in a bit more gain -
meaning that the signal is concentrated in that direction instead of being
wasted by sending some power up.

Ground plane-less antennas are great where no ground plane exists or can
exist, such as on boats or fiberglass vehicles. If a ground plane can
exist, such as on a roof, one should be used.