Old August 30th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Rollie Rollie is offline

Default How do you get a ground rod to 6 feet ?

Dave, In the upper midwest we use a waterhose and keep the area damp so it
drives easily. Sometimes the rod will go in with very light hammer blows.
Hope it works for you.. Lots of luck, Rollie

Dave Lemper wrote in message
The soil in central Texas is called Caliche with a lot of clay,
CaCO3 & shale. Attempting to drive in a ground rod
yielded only a mushroom on top & blisters on me.
Local tool rental place has concrete bits, but maximum
length of 18 inches. Possibly longer bits are available in
a larger city.

Renting a back hoe is out.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Dave WB3DWE