Old September 4th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default How do you get a ground rod to 6 feet ?

Dave WB3DWE wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:29:03 GMT, "Wayne"
wrote:

-
I lived for many years in the Dallas area. The caliche was down about 2
feet and was about a foot thick. I had to dig a hole with a shovel down
the caliche, then use a heavy hammer and long chisel to get through the
caliche. Then, backfill and proceed as normal. Don't know what your
configuration would be. Good luck.

Thanks Wayne.
As a last resort I will hack a trench with a pick and lay in the rod
at a shallow angle to the surface. Would this give an adequate
ground ? I could also bond it to an outdoor brass spigot
10 yards away or even to an anchor fence in the other direction.
Dave WB3DWE

Not familiar with that soil, but what would happen if you soaked the ground
with water? Would it soften it and/or make a mud that you could sink the
rod into? I do that around nere in the NC clay and it works pretty
well---unless you hit ROCKS. And that is pretty likely, too.

73