Old September 4th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim-NN7K[_2_] Jim-NN7K[_2_] is offline

Default Odd Piece of Coaxial Cable

Sal M. Onella wrote:
I recently handled an estate sale. Among the SK's posessions was a one-foot
piece of RG-8 or RG-213 which he had carefully modified by cutting away
about 3/16 inch of the jacket and braid all around the circumference of the
cable, near its middle.

I am not sure what use this would be to a ham. Some audio cables are made
up with discontinuous shields for elimination of ground loops but I've not
seen it done for RF.

Ideas?

All the above have merit-- One other use- in SOME installations, there
is a requirement to do D.C. isolation - Removal ot part of the sheath,
jumpered by a Capacitor (but if that is what this for, the cap would
be in place). And, as to the first comment, such a loop would have been
used as a direction Finder (the space between the broken shields was
the "sense area of the loop, and, if remember right, you "Null" in the
direction that the "loop" is perpendicular to. - Jim NN7K