Old September 5th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default baluns n chokes n stuff

but i ponder why there seems to be so many opposing /contradicting
views on same subjects and topics and i am not referring to just
those here on the news groups

if i get x people in a room ask about baluns or chokes 1/2 say one
thing the other 1/2 say something else

dunno it's strange in all that confusion obviously we all pick
what we interpert and believe to be best but i hate when that happens

It's real easy to get caught up the definitions. A transformer transforms
impedance, voltage or current and often isolates but not necessarily. A
choke uses the magnetic field created by the AC current through it to oppose
that current. The wiki points out there are balanced and unbalanced
signals. Webster says balanced and unbalanced lines. Someone posted that
coax is in fact a balanced line. OK that can be oddly true, but it can be
unbalanced by how you connect it. So it can be part application, part
configuration, part common word usage that might not be purely accurate, and
where you are focusing your attention.

Still, it can be many prefer to be an expert and argue and make statements
rather than ask the questions. I must confess after a project, I often let
details slip by me unlike day to day operations that I can't get out of my
head 30 years later. I can still align Micor and Motrac radios in my sleep
step by step.

The whole discussion could have all been on a roundtable net but then we
wouldn't have the luxury of nit-picking and cussing each other out.