Old September 5th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default E-Field across MEAT

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 14:00:52 -0400, Jon Mcleod
wrote:

A few weeks ago, I asked about generating an 140kHz electric field
across a leaf, part of a bio-med lab. Thanks for the answers. But it
turns out I misread the roster and was in the wrong group.

What I ACTUALLY NEED to do is generate a 100kHz electric field, at
1v/cm, across a T-Bone steak, to measure whether it retards or
accelerates decomposition over time. The hypothesis is that the e-field
retards growth of certain bacteria inside the meat.

A pretty shabby hypothesis.

By design, we have not been instructed exactly how to construct the
methods and apparatus. I have at my disposal a function generator and
various amplifiers.

It is a gross oversimplification to just connect one wire to one end of
the steak, and another wire at the other end, and apply 20V RMS across a
20cm steak to generate 1V/cm?

Yes it is a gross oversimplification. What are your controls?

Thanks. Sorry about the idiot questions.

Hi Jon,

It has been historically proven that the e-fields of 60 Hz current
across the ribs of convicts, over time (about several minutes)
seriously accelerates decomposition. Sterilization would naturally
follow too answering the point about bacteria growth. Between those
two obvious observations, it would seem you have a conflicting agenda.
The hypothesis you are testing seems to want to simultaneously
challenge and support longstanding evidence through shifting frequency
without actually specifying how MUCH current should be applied. Thus
the hypothesis devolves to: "How does frequency enter into what has
already been observed?"

Let me point out that this, too, already has longstanding evidence of
doing pretty much offering the same outcome; and the state, for the
sake of economy, has long since abandoned the hypothesis of performing
executions with 100KHz electric chairs.

To put it simply, you have to many unstated and unfulfilled variables
to call your proposal a hypothesis.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC