Old September 6th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II m II is offline

Default Speaker deterioration?

D Peter Maus wrote:

Reduced output can be caused by a capacitor that hss lost form. HIGHLY
likely this is could contribute to your problem. VERY highly likey.
Electrolytics lose form with age, and lack of use. Many technicians
replace them at this age, as a matter of course.

Garbling...that can be a number of things. Misaligned IF's can put the
passband on the skirts of the filters. This makes for both garbled and
reduced audio output. Also a high probability. A transistor failure
early in the audio path can cause several types of distortion which can
result in garbled audio. A resistor in the audio path, or in a bias
circuit that's drifted can do the same thing. Also, given the receiver's
age, a likely issue.

You and Billy may be on to something. The sound improves somewhat if I
put the radio in ssb mode and then tune for the best sound. darn...

I was hoping for an easy fix.

mike

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/